Police identify man killed by officers Wednesday; officers placed on leave

Jeff Neiburg & Esteban Parra Via Delaware News Journal

The man killed in Wilmington by New Castle County police in the early morning hours of Wednesday has been identified as 30-year-old Lymond Moses of Bear, the department said in a press release Wednesday night.

Two New Castle County Police officers – one a 10-year veteran, the other three-year veteran – are on administrative leave per department policy as the investigation continues.

It remains unclear why the county's officers were conducting an investigation on the east end of the Riverside public housing units, which are inside the city of Wilmington.

County police said their officers were investigating a "suspicious vehicle" in the area of Rosemont Avenue and East 24th Street about 1:10 a.m. Wednesday.

As the officers approached the vehicle, the car drove off down a dead-end road, Master Cpl. Michel Eckerd, a county police spokesman, said.

"The vehicle then made a U-turn and drove at a high rate of speed directly at the officers," Eckerd said. "The officers subsequently discharged their firearms and struck the driver."

Officers and other medical personnel immediately rendered first aid, but the Moses was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

No other new information was immediately available Wednesday night. Police said it is a "very active investigation" involving the New Castle County Police Department and the Delaware Department of Justice's Division of Civil Rights and Public Trust.

In a statement Wednesday night, the county's police chief, Colonel Vaughn M. Bond, Jr., said: “The events of this morning are tragic as the lives of our officers and the Moses family have been forever altered. I can assure those we serve that we are committed to conducting a thorough and exhaustive investigation to determine exactly what occurred during the officers interactions with Mr. Moses.”

A review of the area late Wednesday morning found the car had been shot closer to 27th Street, where Rosemont Avenue was closed.

The roadway where the car came to a stop had been washed down. Orange paint

sprayed by investigators could still be seen on the asphalt.

A nearby resident said it was "a little scary" that the person was shot by police.

"Cops are supposed to protect us," a woman said, "and if they shot somebody, hopefully it was for a good reason."

This is Delaware's first police-involved shooting of 2021.

Wednesday morning's shooting comes two weeks after Delaware State Police shot a 28-year-old man during an exchange of gunfire in Viola. Ronald Cochran survived the Dec. 30 shooting and has been charged with attempted murder.

That shooting was one of three police-involved shootings that month, in a year that saw eight people shot by officers in Delaware.

5 views0 comments